1. Boil water in the kettle and in the measuring jug dissolve the vegetable stock cube to make 500ml of stock.
2. Slice the onion. In the large saucepan melt the butter and saut the onion for a couple of minutes, until soft.
3. If the mushrooms are large chop them in half, otherwise add them whole to the onion. Cover and let them saut for a minute. After that pour in 100ml (out of 500ml) of the vegetable stock and 100ml of white wine. Add:
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 juniper berries
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves (take them off their stalks)
- 1 teaspoon of ground paprika
- A handful of dried porcini
Season well, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In the medium saucepan boil 400ml of vegetable stock together with 200ml of water. Add 140g basmati rice and a teaspoon of fennel seeds. Cook for 10-12 minutes until soft.
5. Dice the red pepper.
6. After cooking the mushrooms for 5 minutes take the cover off and add the red pepper, 100ml of creme fraiche and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.
7. In the mug mix in 1 teaspoon of flour with a little cold water. Add to the mushrooms and cook without a cover for another 5 minutes stirring regularly, until the sauce thickens.
To serve - Spoon the rice onto the plate and arrange the mushroom stroganoff on top.